Saturday 8 March 2014

Running on ice.

Running has proven to be the best cardiovascular endurance exercise for me. Swimming requires too much planning (e.x. packing swimsuit/gear, getting changed, shower, walking home wet, on and on and on). Elliptical machines and rowing machines are at the gym; I hate gyms. I could bicycle. It can be done outdoors and with higher speed I could travel longer distances. But I have other issues regarding long term cycling; some things are just not worth the risk. And lets face it: walking is for oldies.
Helena on the Sea Wall, February 2013
I blame the Sea Wall in Vancouver for my initial enthusiasm for running, but having an awesome running partner got me going even when my body was screaming back at me. Back then (2011), I ran mostly because it felt so great to be running along the coast. Kitsilano Beach, Stanley Park, and Ambleside are some of the places I would recommend for people who want to start running; the coast is quite addictive. Living in Vancouver is such a privilege in so many ways. Unless you don't mind running in the rain, you can typically run outdoors all year long. I must admit that I used to make excuses when it got "too" cold (5°C) but now temperatures like that are laughable.
Rideau Canal, February 2014
After moving to Ottawa in September, I was lucky enough to find great routes along the Rideau Canal and the Parliament Hill. I have been running this 8km route ever since I arrived 6 months ago and it is still a great motivation to run. During this winter, I have ran outside at -16°C (well over -20°C windchill) but my general rule of thumb for opting out and heading to the treadmill is -15°C. If you have thick base-layer top/bottom and a windbreaker, it's no problem. Also, running on snow and running on ice (on the canal) is helping me train my toes. I started climbing and it requires muscles that we typically don't use. The obvious one would be your fingers; but, a less obvious part that people forget about are the toes. Running on the canal ice(rink) helped my toes strengthen this winter a great deal.

Running is not something I excel at. I've never been able to beat Helena, my half-marathon time is embarrassing, and I have no intention of training for a full marathon in the foreseeable future. I run to keep my mind clear and my body prepared. I need to be prepared to climb higher and faster. I need to be prepared to hike the back-country for many days with heavy packs. I need to be prepared for the Spartan Trifecta Tribe!


No comments:

Post a Comment